Monday, August 27, 2012

Music

I've discovered songs and music have the ability to preserve memories. Well I guess I didn't discover it. I'm pretty sure most people would know what I'm talking about.
You put your ipod on shuffle and a song comes on that you haven't heard in forever then alla sudden you're back snowboarding, or on a car ride, or remembering something that happened the moment you were listening to that song.
 Here are a few memories that some songs have preserved for me:
Ambling Alp by Yeasayer- reminds me of a car ride to my little sisters softball game. I remember the treehouse I saw when the chorus first started. I remember being paraniod the whole ride. Looking for yellow cars because I was in the middle seat and my siblings were playing Bingo and I didn't want to be punched again. I looked for cars even after they had fallen asleep.
Passion Pit- reminds me of my first year on the Crew team. Haha! of making coach Henrikson mad and being punished with 100 jumpies. and of climbing on the roof of the shed and having Philip tell us how things were done in Romania
Cat Stevens- probably contains the most memories. Sneaking into a junkyard near the mouth of the canyon with Aspen and later Josh and Andrew. Boating with those same friends. Wandering through the Mountains playing Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. Oh good times! I'm smiling right now...Another Saturday Night reminds me of a car ride back from Josh's house. I don't remember what we'd been doing but I remember the car ride and the road we were on.
Space Man by The Killers - Reminds me of a HUGE pow day two seasons ago. Snowboarding with Aspen and trying frontflips. Then later taking our boards off to sled on them and watching mine slide down the mountain without me... Oh baby! Bob Marley is a part of that whole season too. It was a good season.
Call Your Girlfriend by Robyn was the theme song of the week I spent in Bear Lake at Nicole's Cabin. We played it no less than... ONEBILLIONTIMES.
Patterns by Simon and Garfunkel- brings back the time I spent doing drivers ed at Brighton. Of the kid who said he liked the beads in my hair. And of the girl who did observations with me and looked like Adele.
Fur Elise- reminds me of this pink music box I had that I decorated with tweety bird stickers. I think Fur Elise is the only song to ever make me cry. And I don't even know why. I remember sitting in the big green chair in my living room and listening and crying. I was a weird kid.
These are just the ones that come to me right on the spot and well, I could go on forever. But I won't. I could probably go through the playlists on my Ipod and write books on the memories they bring back.  All those memories come to my head everytime I hear them. Sometimes I even save them; I only listen to the songs on rare occasions because I don't want the memories to be replaced. 
Some songs are only for certain times.

No comments:

Post a Comment